Romantic cottage for two people, surrounded by valley views, kingsize bed, spa bath big enough for 2, own parking space, log-burner, wifi. Longer lets and short breaks available in this cottage. Cot and highchair on request. Sorry no pets.
The Owlery is a most romantic retreat: a cosy get-away cottage for two, providing plenty of space and all the right ingredients for a tranquil holiday.
Nestling amidst Dittiscombe’s peaceful valley The Owlery is ideal for celebrations, to relax, or to explore this unspoilt part of South Devon. Guests can unwind in the tranquility which surrounds the cottage and enjoy the log burning stove, extra-large spa bath with room for two (perfect for a long soak with a glass of bubbly at the end of the day!), and a king-size bed.
Guests will also have a private garden for relaxing and alfresco dining, and the use of the extensive grounds where you can enjoy a leisurely stroll through the woodland and around the meadows and orchard, with wildlife to spot along the way.
Further afield there is easy access to the big sweep of beaches at Start Bay, and super walking on the South West Coastal Path between Dartmouth and Salcombe. Slapton village is just a 10 minute drive away where there are two good pubs serving local food and drink, and the freshwater lake at Slapton Ley with its abundance of wildlife. Take the walk from Slapton to Torcross and Beesands and be rewarded by the areas best fish dishes at the Start Bay Inn, Britannia on the Beach or at The Cricket Inn.
The accommodation comprises:
- Open-plan living area with space to cook, dine and relax in front of the log burner: Comfy sofa and coffee table, circular glass dining table with chairs, Wifi and TV with streaming, shelves with books, and a kitchen well equipped with electric oven/hob (extractor over), fridge and microwave provide everything needed for a self-catering break.
- The kingsize bed, wardrobe and dressing table and bluetooth radio is all set on a galleried mezzanine floor a few steps up from the ground floor, with window looking out over the orchard.
- The bathroom is down a short flight of stairs from the ground floor, with fabulous spa bath big enough for two, a separate shower cubicle, WC, wash basin, and heated towel rail.
- Oil-fired central heating throughout.
- The Owlery has a pretty garden where you can sit and enjoy a glass of wine or alfresco meal (outdoor furniture provided) whilst looking over the small pond. There is also a private lawned garden, perfect for relaxing with views over the valley.
- The Owlery has its own parking space in front of the cottage.
- Short breaks are available outside the school holidays or at short notice if the cottage is free.
- The bed is made up ready for arrival.
- Unfortunately this cottage does not accept pets and is not recommended for children other than small babies, but there are other family and dog-friendly cottages at Dittiscombe and you can find out more here.
- Take a lovely canoe trip around the waterways of the area with a recommended local company Singing Paddles who provide guided tours in two-man canoes or a Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga with Simply Soulful Yoga.
- Bike storage is available.
- The Dartmouth Golf & Country Club is just 10 minutes from the cottage and has nine and eighteen-hole golf courses, a pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, and gym (Dittiscombe’s guests receive a 25% discount on these facilities), and beauty treatments are available.
What Previous Guests Say About The Owlery
The Owlery and the surrounding grounds are the most wonderful place to stay. A lovely cottage with all the facilities needed for a romantic and quiet stay. The peace and quiet of the area just allows you to completely relax and recharge. Taking a walk in the grounds and seeing and hearing nature is a real treat. Ruth and Jon are so welcoming. Thoroughly recommend.
The cottage is a perfect, restful haven in a beautiful and peaceful location. It is well equipped and attractively furnished with everything you need for a relaxing holiday. I really enjoyed the wood burner in particular. The hosts were friendly, welcoming and helpful. I would return in a heartbeat. Although it’s out in the sticks, it is a very short distance from the beautiful coast.
General Cottage Information
- Our prices can be found on the Booking page and are fully inclusive of heating, electricity and linen.
- Towels are currently not provided and we would ask that guests bring their own sets.
- Each cottage has sofas and chairs, coffee tables, TV with streaming and free Wifi. Further information on local information, eating out, and suggest itineraries can be found within our website.
- Heating is either oil or gas-fired central heating, or night-storage heating with supplementary heating, and some cottages have woodburners. Please see individual cottage descriptions.
- Each cottage kitchen has an electric cooker and ceramic hob, cordless kettle, toaster, microwave, fridge with freezer compartment. There is a dishwasher and upright fridge/freezer in Willows.
- We suggest you bring your own bbq as we are currently not loaning these to guests.
- All cottages are fully no smoking.
- Cots, highchairs, mattress protectors and non-slip rubber bath mats are available free on request. Guests are advised to bring other safety equipment such as harnesses and stair-gates.
- Please see individual descriptions for each cottage bathroom. Some have baths with shower over, some with shower cubicles only, some with walk-in showers. All bathrooms have heating, toilet, washbasin, shaver points, heated towel rail or central heating radiator/towel rail.
- Bedding is non-feather duvets and pillows with polycotton protectors, and the bed linen is a polycotton mix. Beds are made up for guests’ arrival.