South Devon Highlights
Dittiscombe – your perfect base in South Devon
Dittiscombe Hills Estate & Cottages is located mid-way between Kingsbridge and Dartmouth and is just a short drive from plenty of dog-friendly beaches, estuaries and the South West Coast Path. Scroll down to find inspiration for things to do during your stay from the list of highlights and upcoming events below.
You can visit the Tourist Information Centres in Kingsbridge and Dartmouth to get some local advice, or call Ruth or Jon who will be able to advise you about local events and activities and help you with booking if required.
- Candlelit Dartmouth 29 – 30 November in Dartmouth. Highlight is the atmospheric lantern procession through the town on Saturday evening.
- Experience Totnes at its finest on Tuesday evenings in December. The town’s Late Night Shopping events run from 3.30-9.30pm on 3rd, 10th and 17th. Craft vendors mix with late night opening shops and cafes. Great atmosphere!
- South Devon Railway at Staverton Santa by Steam on the following dates: 7, 8, 14, 15, 18 & 24 December. Find out more from their website.
Activities & Crafts
- Take a leisurely group paddle in a two-man canoes with Dave of Singing Paddles, looking at the abundant wildlife on the creeks and rivers of the South Hams. Special events include bat identification using bat detectors and finding bioluminescence in the water. Call or text Dave on 07754 426633.
- 9K Night Run in January, in partnership with Cotswold Outdoor. This event is about having fun at your own pace, meeting new people, exploring East Soar after dark and raising funds for our ongoing conservation work. 25th January.
- The Gallery at Avon Mill invites you to the ‘Meet the Maker & Festive Weekend’ on 8th, 9th and 10th November from 10am. Meet Devon based artisans and enjoy a free glass of prosecco. Free parking and dogs welcome!
Food & Drink
- Christmas Market at The Oyster Shack near Bigbury. Pop the date in your diary – 30th November.
- Kingsbridge Celebrates Christmas with a festive day on 9th December. Stalls are open all day along Fore Street selling Christmas treats, gifts and cards. Freshly cooked street food and Santa’s arrival!
- Meet ‘Provident’ a 450 litre copper pot still at Salcombe Gin Distillery on 18th December at 2.30. There will be a tutored tasting of four gins, and a tour.